If you’re a passionate, innovative graphic designer with a few years of experience and you are looking to use your skills on a broad spectrum of projects with an opportunity for growth, the North American Hardware and Paint Association (NHPA) wants to talk to you.
Please send your resume and portfolio to Melanie Moul at firstname.lastname@example.org
NHPA is an international trade association and publisher in Indianapolis that serves as an advocate and educator for independent home improvement, lumber and paint and decorating store operators. The 120-year-old organization achieves its mission by delivering well-respected content, resources and programs—including two monthly print magazines, a variety of developmental and educational programs and guides, online and in-person training courses, exclusive industry research, virtual and in-person events and more—to over 35,000 small business owners in the U.S. and Canada.
Our team is small, but mighty. We have 25 employees across several departments who are skilled in copywriting, editing, graphic design, digital media production, marketing, sales, finance, event planning, strategic leadership and more. We believe in working hard, taking initiative and ownership, while also maintaining our work-life balance.
Learn more about NHPA here.
About the Job
The graphic designer will report to the Communications and Content Manager to help develop and execute creative, high-impact print and digital projects including magazine features, departments and covers, digital resources, advertising and promotions materials, social and web graphics and more.
About the Day-to-Day
- Develop creative designs for print and digital publications
- Concept and implement designs for social media, websites and email
- Shoot and edit portrait photography or feature/cover photography for magazine covers, feature stories and marketing material
- Initiate and collaborate on projects across departments to develop, revise and execute designs that best serve our audience and organization
- Proactively propose new project ideas to serve the association’s mission and priorities
- Integrate the latest innovations and best practices in the design field
- Some travel required
- This job has a hybrid schedule. We’re currently asking our team to come into the office two days a week at our headquarters in Broad Ripple, north of Indianapolis
- You are passionate about visual storytelling and creating compelling and engaging content and designs
- You enjoy seeing a project through all stages of production, from brainstorming and concepting to development and implementation
- You have experience with photography or an interest in learning
- You see the bigger picture while paying attention to the right details
- You excel at managing a demanding workload while making it look easy
- You thrive on surprising your colleagues with creativity and excellence
- You are driven by collaboration with editors and other designers and other contributors to create relevant, impactful pieces in a variety of mediums
- You are passionate about creating and supporting a work environment where employees are engaged, feel their opinions count and can do what they do best every day
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in graphic design or related field
- 2-5 years of experience in graphic design with emphasis on magazine design and photography
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator
- Familiarity with Mac
- Familiarity with WordPress, Mailchimp and G Suite a plus
- Experience producing concepts based on existing brand parameters and maintaining brand standards and consistency between designs, while also exploring creative solutions
- Experience translating assignments into high-quality layouts that meet the needs of the company while ensuring a significant range of options
- Exquisite attention to detail; must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Self-directed with a positive and professional approach to management
- Video skills are a plus